Thursday, May 26, 2011

SMA Workout for a Cause

Please join us June 18 for the SMA Workout for a Cause hosted by World Camp CrossFit. For directions please go to www.worldcampcf.com.

Thank you to all the Crossfit affiliates who are participating. We are asking affiliates to try and raise $200 for the event. Donations can be made online or by check to Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy, a 501c3 organization. ! All proceeds benefit Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

To donate visit www.fsma.org/workoutforacause2011.


SMA has directly affected my life and so many others. Every dollar raised and every new person who learns about the disease is a step closer to finding a cure. My 2 year old son, Mateo, has SMA Type II. For me, Crossfit is a way I can stay strong physically and mentally for my family. My son is unable to walk or crawl, and can only sit unsupported for a minute. Needless to say, I do a lot of lifting.

Every time I do a WOD like Helen, where I'm gasping for breath and dripping with sweat, I think "why am I doing this", but before the thought even leaves my mind I know why. For many suffering from SMA, BREATHING is the hardest thing they can do.

A little about Spinal Muscular Atrophy, it affects the motor neurons used for activities like crawling, walking, head control, breathing, and swallowing. Approximately 1 in 6,000 babies are born affected and 1 in 40 people are carriers, many unknowing. SMA is also the #1 genetic killer of children under the age of 2. For more information on Spinal Muscular Atrophy please go to www.fsma.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment